- Tip#1: Kena beli buku latihan tambahan, walaupun kerja sekolah adalah keutamaan, kena ada latihan yang khas untuk dirumah. Ibu bapa kena ambil masa periksa kerja anak2. Saya mula buat ni bulan Mac 2015 untuk UPSR 2015.
- Tip #2: Jangan risau. Bincang dan dapatkan nasihat dari ibu bapa lain yang anak2 telah berjaya melalui UPSR tahun sebelumnya.
Some of them found my anxiety rather amusing, while others gave useful tips.
Thankfully, my childrens UPSR BM school teacher replied and invited me to meet up. So there we were in the school canteen and the teacher came with this book in his hand. I said “Yes, we have that at home, and yes, I have gone through some of the questions, hence my concern and my text message”. The teacher either laughed or smiled, but with empathy.
- Tip #3: Boleh jumpa dan bincang dengan guru BM sekolah atau guru kelas.
The trend, according to the teacher, (and I’ll have to use the word unfortunately again) is increasingly difficult questions.“Why?” I asked in exasperation, reflecting on the ‘already difficult ones’ in the teachers hand.
“We don’t know why” said the teacher, “It is just what we observe”.
The teacher then went through what I would describe as ‘exam technique”. Even if one’s knowledge of Bahasa Malaysia is excellent, but one is lacking in exam technique, this can affect the grade. The first paper is the objective, best of four (don’t be fooled by the word ‘objective’ though), and students should target to finish one question per minute, leaving ten minutes left to re-check the answers. The last two parts are the easiest (so the teacher says), question 31-40, because the answers are given in the text. So, during practice, student needs to time themselves to be up to a certain speed (somewhat similar to Kumon).
- Tip #4: Kena tahu teknik menjawab kertas soalan, contoh ada berapa bahagian, markah untuk setiap bahagian, jenis soalan sama ada objektif atau subjektif dan sebagainya.
- Dulu kertas 1 objektif, setiap soalan 1 minit, dua bahagian terakhir paling mudah sebab jawapan ada dalam teks.
Now the tricky part, or rather trickier, Paper 2.
In Part A, a picture is given and students are asked to describe five things based on the picture. The word to emphasise here is “verb” or “kata kerja”. Students are expected to describe action. Last year, a picture of a scene in a rural setting was given. There was a cow eating grass and birds flying in the sky. The twist came in the question…describe the actions of the rural folk. Apparently many students described the cow and birds, so the lesson is the read the question properly before attempting to answer, which many students didn’t and got caught.
Part B is the essay. Choose one out of three choices. No tips here. I guess it’s straightforward.
- Tip #5: Kertas 2 pula, bahagian A guna kata kerja untuk terangkan gambar. Bahagian B esei, boleh pilih dari tiga soalan.
Part C is also tricky, according to the teacher, as reading ‘between the lines’ is needed. A passage is given and students are required to describe the good moral values implied based on the text. Unfortunately (for the third time), it is not straightforward, I just cant recall the example the teacher gave, but I remember thinking, yes, that is definitely NOT easy!
- Tip #6: Bahagian C lebih abstrak. Kena beri maksud tersirat nilai moral dari petikan.
Short summary of tips:
1) Go through the past year questions
2) Practice with timing
3) Read the questions carefully
4) Good luck
- Tip #7:
- Tengok soalan tahun2 lepas atau contoh2 soalan untuk tahun 2016, memandangkan UPSR tahun 2016 ni format baru.
- Buat latihan mengikut waktu seperti dalam peperiksaan.
- Ajar anak untuk baca soalan dengan berhati2.